Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lent day 9

Recently I had been walking through a very difficult season in my walk with the Lord. I couldn't go to him without feeling the deep shame of my sin. It was, for me, quite a dark time. One that I had not experienced really ever in my journey with Christ. I've definitely had times where I was aware of my sin, but I knew the love of my Lord was present and accessible. I had an awareness of my freedom in Him. Not in this past season. It's really been about two to three weeks now that I've felt his freedom...his never ending love for me again. FOR ME! nothing I can do can separate me from him. He doesn't abandon me-no matter what I've done or the distance I place between us. I wonder if you have ever felt in a place of feeling distant from Christ?

This morning as I was reading through a few of my lent resources, I read this excerpt from Henri Nouwen's books "The inner voice of Love: A Journey through anguish to Freedom" and was blow away about how relevant it was to my current journey. Should I be blown away? When His mercies are new every morning, just like his breathtaking sunrise I'm looking at through my office window as I write this? He knows me. He knows you. He knows your joy, your sorrow, your anxiety, your path. Nothing escapes him. Nothing phases him. He loves you and sees you as his child. This is why he sent his Son to die and come back to life-to save us from sin. He bore my sin and shame on that cross. This is why we observe these 40 days before Easter-to walk where He walked. To journey with him to the cross. Below I'll share what I read from Nouwen's book and i'll also share a prayer and action to actively engage in as we walk with Christ to the cross. Peace be with you, dear family.

Jesus...told people not to be guided by the behavior of the scribes and Pharisees. Jesus came among us as an equal, a brother...

You will not be able to meet Jesus in your body while your body remains full of doubts and fears. Jesus came to free you from those bonds and so create in you a space where you can be with him...

Do not despair, thinking that you cannot change yourself after so many years. Simply enter into the presence of Jesus as you are and ask him to give you a fearless heart where he can be with you. you cannot make yourself different. Jesus came to give you a new heart, a new spirit, a new mind, and a new body. Let him transform you by his love...

Scripture

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?

Romans 8:28-32

Prayer

Lord-let me recognize in myself the pride and false piety of one who will not admit of the imperfections of being human. Temper my doubts and fears, restore my commitment to your ways. Keep before me your promise of a new heart and a new spirit; prompt me along the path to this transformation in love and conformation to your image. Amen

Action

Take time today to be alone and aware of the movement of the Holy Spirit in your life. See where he has brought you from, and think about where he is at work currently in your life. Journal what comes up.

No comments: