Wednesday, February 25, 2009

...from ashes i came...to ashes i'll return...


Today is Ash Wednesday...I'm so curious about church history since i've taken so many classes on it. The observance of Lent-the 40 days leading up to the crucifiction and ressurection of Jesus-is on that list as well. So, today, William and I (after dropping off Em as school) went to a Lent service. We both walked up mid service for the priest to put ash on our forehead...(He did it for Will too...) There was something so sacred about considering the ash that was placed as a cross on my forehead-ashes that are from the palm fronds celebrating last years palm sunday-considering our sin...confessing...knowing we are forgiven...

So...i'm thoughtful today...mindful...contemplating in my life the sacrifice that Christ made on the cross so that I would be forgiven...and how in these 40 days that follow...considering that sacrifice and the sacrifice it will be for me to deny my flesh-my desire to fill my life with things that are not of God.

Here is another thought on lent.

No comments: