Saturday, August 8, 2009

Brave...

So...I need to brave... (this is a novel...be for warned!)

I'm starting a business. Upon graduation, I began to think about how I can use my degree while also being a mom. My particular niche allows me to work around the kids school schedule, which is unreal to me-that we can still have me home as well as work a bit. But...actually admitting that I am going to do this little dream that is in my mind, that I could actually get paid for it, causes me to just look back on prayers of mine and say, "wow, Lord-really!??"

However, I actually need to start telling people about it, which is where the brave part comes in. What if I launch this and no one calls...no one refers...well...that is the risk, right?

www.water4thesoul.blogspot.com...
water4thesoul@gmail.com

this will continue to be the family blog, the above will be the job blog...i figure i'll start with a blog and if it by any chance ever gets larger that a blog, i can create a website.

i'm very much open to comments and suggestions. please direct them to my gmail account above.

phew...i did it. i shared my other blog! seriously, this is a bit scary for me! but...yesterday while the kids were at VBS i had some amazing mtgs that really confirmed this is what I am to do. I have to share a bit of it b/c it seriously was only the Lord who could have coordinated this!

I went into supervision (this is what I attend once a month while I am meeting with clients to look at sessions and if there was any advice i needed, anything that came up that i was unable to handle, questions...just a place to be accountable to...i LOVE supervision!) and shared a bit of what my dream is to do (pastoral counseling and spiritual direction-SD/PC) and she challeneged me to do it, to put myself out there and to see what happens. While we prayed about it, we both thought about me speaking to my former professor and good friend to see what she thought since she was the one who taught all my SD and PC classes. So I walked out of the office and I saw her car!! I sort of freaked out, so I drove off!! I prayed in the car, "okay Lord, if you want me to speak to her, she'll be there when I get back." (ever pray one of those prayers?!)

so, I actually drove to a building near by that I was looking at-sort of dreaming, "what if i got enough clients to have an actual space with and office? what if a group of us started a practice and we shared the space?" I walked in and got some info which was amazing and sooo helpful! there is actually a space that is near the 22/405/605 fwys and if a group of us went in on it, we could all have an office space with two offices, a waiting room and a bathroom. i have NO idea pricing (it was about 1,000 a month-is this good?) and am not signing a lease anytime soon, just went to investigate.

so...i got back in my car, drove back to campus and my professor was still there! okay God, i'll go talk to her!

We spoke and she totally backed the ideas and said a class or two that i would benefit from for further depth and continued education. it was such a huge green light for me...it helped me to be brave to post this!! she even offered a reference should i create a flyer and a pastor in the area to speak to about helping them launch this very idea in their church!! yahoo!!

so...check it out!! www.water4thesoul.blogspot.com. let me know what you think. i plan to post some more thoughts and ideas soon...but at least the basics are up and running...

here we go, Lord. let's see what will happen!! (thanks, friends for letting me process! gimme feedback!)
aly

3 comments:

the hickles said...

Hey Alyss,
I meant to find you this morning and tell you how excited I am for you! I'm sure the "bravery" is hard to muscle at times, but God is so in control and moving you towards this, how exciting!!

Keep us in the loop of how things progress for you and everything!

(Oh- I also wanted to tell you that you can put a hyper link into your blog post really easily- so that people can directly click onto the url you wrote out, and it will take them to your other blog, or any other site you want to post about later. What you do is type a word like you would usually when you're doing a new post (ie: WATER 4 THE SOUL) and then highlight it in the box. Click on a little icon at the top of the formatting toolbar that looks like a chainlink. Then a box will pop up and you enter the URL for the site where you want it to take your viewers. Then press enter. I hope that works!)

Love ya!

ABShaeffer said...

LOVE it, Alyssa! We will be praying for you and look forward to see how we can partner with you. SO excited. Seriously, so excited. Love to you, dear friend.
Renee

Jenna Lyndsay said...

im so proud and excited for you alyssa. i can't wait to see how this continues to develop!