Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thankful

The Classroom
Carpet time-singing and signing the good-bye song for the day
silly cousins
me and my darling niece alicia!!
alicia and grandma linda

I am so thankful this season for so many things-but one thing in particular is Emily's school. She has the privilege of attending Leffingwell School in East Whittier. She attends daily morning preschool there. I say privilege because she has the honor of learning along side beautiful not-typical students (they integrate them with a handfull of typical students).

I have seen this deepen her compassion ten-fold!!! some students have learning challenges, others are mild-autisic or sight impaired or downs. I'll ask her a specific question about a student I know who has a challenge and she doens't even discuss their disability when talking about them-it's not even an identifying label to her. Much like we say, 'oh you know so and so, he's that hispanic guy...' or 'you know her daughter, she has such and such'...it's never EVER been about that with Emily. She has taught me so much about identity this semester. My identity is not being her mother, or being Ryan's wife-those things don't identify me/define me...my identity is being a daughter of the King in whom we celebrate this season.

I am thankful for Emily-for Ms. Monica and all her aides for their endless patience with their class and endless compassion to care for those in their room. The photos posted are from a day we were all invited into their classroom to celebrate Thanksgiving. I am so thankful this season.

No comments: