Friday, December 14, 2007

christmas lights and grief


last night the family went to chick-fil-a for dinner and then to go celebrate me being done with the semester. we went to starbucks, got coffee and hot cocoa...walked around the christmas lights...it was beautiful and so much fun!! the kids were in their element.

then it struck me like a wall...my beloved grandma (who passed away april 13th of this year) wanted to see the christmas lights last year...and she just couldn't do it, she was too ill. as we drove away, we drove (not intentionally) past the familiar streets back to our home, but they also led to my grandma's apartment and then home where she passed away. i couldn't hold back the tears any more. dear ryan held my hand as i tried not to make a sound, but just wept. man...she loved christmas. i loved christmas with her. she always signed her presents to us either santa baby or grandma-ma. i won't get anything from her this year. all i want is her...to hold her hand, walk around the cold blocks in brea admiring the christmas lights...shopping in the mall at night with her for presents...wandering around pottery barn...williams sonoma...gap...sephora...anything! eating cpk... she would love our christmas photos...

man...i miss her.

1 comment:

Jenna Lyndsay said...

alyssa, this really touched my heart. i have been feeling similar feelings this year since my grandma passed away this summer too. she would usually be staying with us right now and it kind of hit me this morning. she is still with you. much love and hugs to you. <3 jenna